EPR License is India’s answer to the rising threat of electronic and plastic waste. Every manufacturer of electronic product, every importer and every recycler of it has to apply for and obtain this license to operate.
So, if you’re an electronics manufacturer in this country that is increasingly becoming self-reliant, or an importer or a recycler, the question of how to obtain EPR certificate is one you can’t avoid.
In this article, we are going to take you through each and every step of certification, including some extra tips to make the procedure go smoother.
What is the meaning of EPR License?
EPR means Extended Producer Responsibility. As a manufacturer of electronic products, your duty is not just to provide quality products and cater to your customers. It’s also to cater to the environment.
Each and every product you make has the potential to harm the environment. From the electronic circuitry that lies inside to the plastic container that covers them, these constituents aren’t particularly environment friendly. Dispose them wrong or worse, burn them and you’ll have a catastrophe in your hands; one whose effects you won’t see immediately.
So, in order to enforce the manufacturers to also take the environment into account, the government created EPR license. As per the provisions of this license, a manufacturer has to accept the Extended Producer Responsibility to:
- Recycle, and
- Dispose the electronic wastes that it produces.
What are electronic wastes? In this case, the electronic waste is what all their products turn into. They can be:
- Discarded laptops
- Desktops that can’t be used anymore
- internal broken components
- circuit boards
- Mice, and more
So, as per the directives given by the CPCB, the issuer of the titular license, every manufacturer has to provide a way to recycle or dispose the above mentioned products.
What is the procedure to obtain EPR License in India?
It’s a simple process, and akin to all government processes.
- You file the application and submit the documents
- You let CPCB run assessment of those documents and applications.
- CPCB then appoints an auditor to check the validity of the claims you’ve made in the application and the documents you’ve provided
- If everything about your manufacturing facility checks out, you get the EPR Certificate
The above steps are taken in an offline and online way.
- You file the application online, and
- You submit the documents offline.
Incomplete application forms are not tolerated, neither are the missing documents.
Documents required to get EPR Certification in India
- Address proof of the location of your manufacturing unit
- Legal documents of your business
- Your contact details
- Details of the PAN card
- Details of the person signing the documents
- Details of the model numbers of the product
- BIS license copy if it’s applicable on your products
- RoHS compliance certificate
- Details of your recycling unit, or the recycler if you’re outsourcing
- Estimation of the e waste generated
- Estimated budget spent or you’ll spend on your duties that come under Extended Producer Responsibility
- Details of awareness programs
- Particulars of the EPR plan
- Website content highlighting the e waste management measures you’ve or you’ll take
Making the process of getting EPR registration certificate smoother
In all seriousness, despite how much easy we try to portray the process, you’ll always know the reality. The legal complications that you might face on each step, coupled with the issues of the application and the documents makes the EPR certification process quite difficult.
So, is there a way to make it easy?
Yes, there is.
- Understanding the format of the EPR certificate: Critical analysis of the said certificate can help you foresee the requirement.
- Hiring a consultant: Consultants can life the task of filing the application from your shoulders, and carry it on theirs. They can help you at every step from application filing to assessment to even inspection of your facility.
EPR certificate is not just an option for manufacturers, it’s mandatory. Thus, if you wish to start your electronics business, don’t forget about this certificate. And if you wish to get the certificate quickly, don’t forget about the liaisoning services that can we can give you.
How to obtain EPR License in India? By following some simple steps that will get complex as to start to walk of them. Read this EPR certification blog to know more.