As we all know, lighting is key in any part of the home, and the kitchen is not going to be less. And not only for aesthetic reasons, in made-to-measure kitchens, as well as design, but it also gives us functionality: light helps us cook; enjoy the colors of the products; gain a feeling of spaciousness; highlights the tones of kitchen furniture, and many other things. To begin, we will talk about the advantages of installing LED lighting for your kitchen, the latest in lighting.
Advantages of “LED light bulbs” for your kitchen
Do you know what the main advantages of LED lighting are? This type of light has multiple qualities and uses that make it more beneficial than traditional light bulbs. One of the best known is energy-saving and, consequently, the reduction in the electricity bill, but there are many more that it can contribute to your kitchen and we list them below:
- They are efficient and therefore have low energy consumption.
- It will make you save on the electricity bill,
- They are easy to install.
- LEDs last longer than traditional light bulbs.
- They emit sharp and bright light.
- They are more resistant to shock or vibration.
- They emit little heat.
- They are ecological due to their components and the way they emit light.
- You can control the intensity of the light by remote control.
- LED lights can be focused.
- LED lighting allows for more colors.
- They are quieter.
- LEDs are safer and more stable.
I have already decided on LED lighting, so…
What type of LED lighting can I install in my kitchen?
After listing its advantages, we are clear that LEDs are the lighting of the future. What are you waiting for to add them to your kitchen? Let’s now talk about the different applications of LED lighting in kitchens.
LED lighting for kitchen ceilings
In the decision process to choose what type of LED lighting is going to be installed in the kitchen at each point or zone, it is necessary to place a central lighting point taking into account the following observations:
- The light points must ensure that no shadows are generated, especially in the most important areas such as the worktop, the main point of work. For this, there is lighting on the countertop or under the kitchen furniture.
- For the ceiling, downlights, tubes, or ceiling lights are the options, while LED strips and strips complement the other areas of the kitchen.
What to choose ceiling lights or downlight?
LED ceiling lights are suitable when installed directly on the original ceiling, however, downlights are recommended when the kitchen has a false ceiling.
Let’s learn more about downlights
The downlights come in a multitude of designs: circular, square, rectangular… with the only functional difference being that the circular ones are easier to install as they are always aligned.
Downlights are gaining more and more prominence both in functional and simple kitchens and in the most avant-garde ones. Thanks to its qualities, in more modern and innovative kitchens we find downlights installed in the most unexpected corners, in different colors such as red, blue, or green.
Day by day, LED downlights are gaining strength in the kitchen and are becoming the majority choice in these spaces. Whatever the choice, LED lighting has more light capacity than traditional lamps, in addition, you gain in aesthetics by being able to install them flush with the ceiling.
LED lighting for kitchen cabinets
LED lighting gives kitchen furniture a special aesthetic appeal and, obviously, more light when cooking and finding products and utensils. For example in cutlery drawers :
Because, although it is more aesthetic than functional, in addition to focusing on the countertop, we can illuminate the interior of the drawers. A trend that also contributes to work with ease.
LED lighting under kitchen cabinets
Next, we will develop the most important use of LED lights, countertop lighting using LED lighting under kitchen cabinets.
Installing LED lighting under the furniture will provide us with several advantages :
- In the first place, we can illuminate specific work areas, even differentiating different environments.
- In addition, this allows us to save, by needing to light only the area in which you work and not the entire kitchen.
- Finally, as we mentioned in the general advantages, LED lights do not generate heat, thus avoiding the risk of burning or passing excessive heat while cooking.
Kitchen furniture allows us a multitude of options when it comes to lighting the countertop. Now we will talk about this, the work area where it is so important to maintain good lighting.
Let’s go with the countertops…
LED lighting in kitchen countertops
Countertops are the work areas in the kitchen and, therefore, the ones that need the most light. Generally, the best option for these areas is LED lights. Why?
LED lights, as we have already repeated, do not heat up like other bulbs, thus avoiding passing heat while cooking, a very common problem in kitchens. In turn, LED lighting makes it easy to hide the cables to hide them from view and focus its light downwards, focusing the focus on the preparation area in the kitchen. Having a direct light to this surface is the key.
Does the lighting vary depending on the color of the countertop?
How do illuminate white countertops with LEDs?
Traditionally, white has always been a color linked to the kitchen. It provides cleanliness, luminosity, spaciousness, and even elegance. If you choose a countertop for white kitchens, we recommend using warm-toned LEDs, so they will combine with the “cold” that white transmits.
And the LED lighting for dark countertops?
If white has been a color traditionally associated with kitchens, dark countertops are a trend. If the dark rules in your kitchen, we recommend installing LED lights with white tones, clear and high-luminosity lighting, and very interesting contrast.